Creative Science School

PTA Meeting Minutes 9/15/15

brittneyComment

Called to order by Todd at 6:37pm

 

Agenda:

  • Budget
    • Money we earn this year goes to next year’s budget.
      • Dan motioned to pass the budget, Brittney seconded. Unanimously approved.
    • Update from principal Kristie:
      • Conference sign up will be electronic through a Google Doc.
      • School messenger: can be translated into multiple languages; Edison Bee is our translator/interpreter reaching out to Chinese-speaking families.
      • New staff
        • Eight new staff members
          • Colleen Smith .5 in office and .25 Educational Assistant
          • 2nd grade Camille and Molly
          • Megan in 4th grade temporarily while Rosie travels and Lisa is on family leave.
          • Morgan previous long term sub now in 5th grade
          • Heather ML science
          • Courtney ML Lang. Arts/Social Studies. Mixed age and mixed subject. Matt and Brandon are previous teachers doing this.
          • Micah teaching ML art
          • Health Aid named Jessie every day part of the day. Suzanne, school nurse supervises Jessie and is here on Wednesdays.
          • Sped teacher Ellen is on medical leave, Adriann previous student teacher is here to cover the leave.
          • Lynne is doing something different this year, putting her focus into groups.
        • Spanish teacher: Previously provided as a compacted class, decided to make Spanish available for 7th graders as well as a two-year class. The teacher went on a leave. The sub was not much of a Spanish speaker, new sub coming who is a Spanish speaker. It is a hard position to fill because there is a shortage of Spanish teachers, and they don’t know how long the leave will be.
        • Mindfulness: Kids are learning about the roles of different parts of the brain and the “core practice” is breathing/meditation practice.
        • Construction: Wednesday Darren Lee is coming to talk to staff. It was MUCH more involved than expected. Quickly discovered that many original items on blueprints were not carried out. Several corners were cut. The roof was not built properly or attached to the walls. At least 1/3 of ceiling tiles fell and $15,000 dollars worth had to be replaced. Over $250,000 over budget. Bond money has been well used!
        • Question about Sex Ed. Will be provided by class teacher/ or science teacher for ML. Sept 28 start of LGBTQ week; starting a gay/straight alliance for ML students.
      • School’s budget
        • Don’t receive any grants (such as Title I funds); yearly budget for running school is about $42,000. Most of that is supplies. Photocopies alone is about $18,000/year. Some goes to garden educator. PPS does not provide books for the library, supplies for art teacher. Any memberships, subscriptions, software are school’s responsibility.
        • Question about what NOT included: does not include teacher salaries, electricity.
      • Introduce PTA members
        • Being official PTA members give us insurance and tax benefits, but we’re not uptight about it. Even if you don’t, we welcome your involvement however you can.
        • Will alternate meetings at school and at venue
          • Suggestion to hold meetings at Laurelwood, Hopworks, etc that have play areas.
        • Updates from Committees
          • Communication committee
            • How can we make it easier?
            • Website is getting redone to be more of a community resource
          • Involvement
            • Need in next month to do a volunteer training
            • Send volunteer needs to Katherine M.
            • Next opportunity Clothing Closet at Marshall bldg.
            • Creative Arts Run on Sept 25.
            • Could use more members if anyone is interested.
          • Sustainability
            • Collecting cereal bar wrappers, wine corks, Capri Sun bags, batteries.
            • Do treecycle after holidays and at that time do a bigger collection.
          • Garden
            • Melissa is educator, Cody will do administrative side.
            • Would like to upcycle pots, tomato cages etc if anyone wants to donate.
            • Are open to turning PTA events into garden activities.
            • They have a box in the office for communication
            • There is a grant through the State of Oregon for garden/cafeteria project. Look at state website.
          • Fundraising
            • Have a venue and date for FunRaiser. Village Ballroom, Feb 6.
            • 10/20 is first restaurant night at Pizzicato
            • Meisha suggested having a breakfast at Applebee’s
            • Just Give drive: If everyone gave a little we’d easily meet our goal.
            • Clothing Drive through Schoola. We send in bags of used clothes and they sell them, we get 40% of price. A bag of clothes is roughly worth $40.
              • There will be a big box in the hall to leave clothes the weeks of Oct 12-16 and April 14-18. Schoola.com
            • Blazer Night December 14
          • Events
            • Need an events coordinator
            • Lots of the events already have volunteers doing the groundwork. Juliana will help along the way.
              • Halloween Party Oct 30
              • Craft Party December 11—We got a volunteer!
              • Science Fair
              • Pool Party
              • Montavillage
              • FunRaiser
              • Camp Out
            • Music proposal from Angie
              • Provided through Vibe, which has provided ceramics classes and ukulele for Afterschool Enrichment.
              • K-5 general music introduction, 30 min a week. 3-5 would get more time 45 min, music literacy, ukulele instruction
              • Starting Nov 2, $33 per student, about $12,000.
              • Would impact the teachers, need to discuss with them.
            • Board Meeting will be Wednesday, Sept 23