Meeting called to order at 6:37pm.
Aliesje King, garden educator, was not able to present tonight.
- There have not been any changes to the budget since last month’s meeting.
- $1000 that was allocated to Montavillage will go back into the general fund.
- We’re a little short this year compared to last year, but hopefully the FUNraiser will make up the difference.
- Event has been canceled due to lack of volunteers to run it. The hope is that a group of people will step up to run it next year.
- We’re talking to the neighborhood organizations, churches, vendors, etc. with whom we have built up relationships over the last few years to let them know we’re taking a hiatus this year.
- The most work is vendor organization, but all this work is over email and the pieces are in place for someone to take it over.
- Date is April 12 at MacTarnahan’s Taproom in NW.
- Cost is $30 per person, which covers 2 drinks and dinner, and $15 goes back to the school.
- We need to pre-sell 150 tickets by April 1 for the event to happen.
- ACTION ITEM: Brittney to email class reps to ask them to email their classes.
- There will be no class baskets this year.
- This year raffle tickets will be cheaper and can also be used for pay-to-plays.
- Committee will be sending out email soliciting pay-to-plays.
- ACTION ITEM: Chris to follow up with Linda about communicating with community and teachers for raffle activities. Diedra will be talking to the teachers.
- There will be games with prizes. Donations for prizes are welcome.
- Is May 30-June 1
Space at CSS
- District will not have more information/decisions about what will happen at CSS until December 2014.
- We’re trying to get one of the district reps to come to our April PTA meeting.
After School Program
- Registration opened last Sunday night.
- We still need help with the program for next year, but Jenny is still willing to help.
- The program is running very smoothly and has been easier than in the past to manage.
- Change: scholarships will only go to families with a parent who volunteers at least once a week (and half price for those who quality for free and reduced lunch).
- Will be May 14-15.
- More information forthcoming later this week.
- New submarines are in use in the K classrooms and we need to do something with the old ones.
- We may raffle the old ones off at the FUNraiser but are also open to other ideas.
- All the classes have gone out at least once a month to learn in the garden.
- A second grade mom is going to paint a beautiful mural on the new shed.
- There has been a lot of vandalism over the past few years.
- We’re looking at options for a fence to discourage vandalism (especially over the summer and other times when the school is unattended).
- The ideas for the fence are all to make it a work of art, involve the kids in the artwork, and grow things on it (vines, etc.) so it won’t look too “fence-like”.
- The garden welcomes and encourages more involvement in work parties, etc.
- Garden committee will be sending out information about donations needed for the fence project.
- Garden gate will be locked during times the school is unattended, but garden committee will find a way to make sure the CSS community still has access (during the summer, etc.).
- Supplies are now needed to move forward (as well as time and people power!).
- This year there will be a garden summer camp at CSS (Aliesje has details).
- There is a kale start sale tomorrow (late start day) starting at 9:30am.
- Project was inspired by a TED talk about a project in a community to give people in neighborhoods who don’t always talk to each other or see each other an opportunity to interact with each other by writing responses on a large bulletin board in chalk in response to the question “Before I die, I want to…”.
- We’d like to do a similar project in our community in response to the question, “What does CSS mean to me?”
- We discussed options for a location and construction possibilities for this type of board.
- Everyone liked the idea of creating a nice-looking board that would remain in one location (on the wall outside the cafetorium), perhaps with a rotating question, where adults and kids could write responses and read what others wrote.
Meeting adjourned at 7:36pm.