Present: Filip, Colleen, Rawls, Katy, Heather, Jeff, Lynne and Jennifer
1. Community and Comments:
- Passport club- what is community feedback on PC?
- Began 3-4 years ago by PTA with PTA funds with the blessing of CSS staff
- Happens once a month for grades 2-5
- Exists to promote global identity/sense of community/geography
- Is current format the right format for our community (rote memorization, “optional” but with non-optional testing, crafts, about 15 mins per class during the school day)
- Would we better serve the goals and our community by having the PC happen as a club or as an after school class?
- PTA finance committee voted this summer and chose not to fund PC but materials had already been paid for and a volunteer had already put in significant planning time so full PTA board decided to go ahead with it for this year
- Filip to ask staff for feedback (and feedback on all PTA funded and organized parts of school day; music, garden club, PC, etc.
- Colleen to check in with PTA and discuss the possibility of creating a community-wide survey to identify level of interest in continuing program as-is
2. School Improvement Plan (SIP)
- Review of 2011-2012 SIP
- This document, in it’s present form, is no longer relevant to our current community
- Goals that are written need to change so that baseline data is for cohort of students being assessed
- Hopefully PPS will have a new SIP format in August of 2014
- Review of data from 2012 -2013 ODE Report card ratings (how the Oregon Department of Education rates schools)- All data is based on OAKS testing in grades 3-8
- Filip will make modifications to this year’s SIP and present to his supervisor
3. Communication Protocol
- Review current document and make suggested revisions
- Filip will make suggested revisions and send final draft to Jeff
- Jeff will connect with Chris Anderson to release to community
- Filip will include in weekly memo
4. Work Team Reports
- Last meeting was devoted to Service Learning and the many strategies by which to support the goal of 100 hours of Service Learning for each graduating 8th grade student
- Suggestions of how to get the word out on SL opportunities included making a bulletin board for both the ML hallway and for in the front of the school. Also, having a bulletin board that celebrates the SL work of individual students.
- Possibility of a student written newsletter that gives details for SL opportunities (it would itself be an opportunity for SL hours)
- Garden to table night and events leading up to this night as opportunities for students to log hours
- Lynne’s student leadership team is discussing community service ideas
- Next ML meeting will focus on 8th grade Promotion
- Staff reviewed and finalized “expectations for common areas”
- Safe and civil surveys for students due at the end of Dec; PPS collates data and returns
- Parent on CC?
- Finalizing a “PBIS” handbook for community
- Filip to reach out to parents who may be interested in joining the CC via his weekly memo
- Update on Professional Development (PD) calendar: currently includes PBIS, Equity, Constructivism via Brandi, Katie and Jules, time for staff to talk about topics relevant to our school community, peer observations via Matt and Brandan
- Filip to bring staff PD calendar to next SC meeting for vote on adopting proposed changes
- Lessons/examples of integrating multiple perspectives
- Looking at enrollment numbers/demographics to have a conversation with teachers and parents about diversifying our community
- Lynne and Ada are working on a proposal to present in the next couple of weeks that details a couple of options for delivering the content of sexual education at CSS
- Working with all levels of teachers
- Student involvement (bulleting board? Newsletter?)
- Who (Ada/Lynne/other teachers) teaches what?
- Looking at other schools and how they determine “success” and how it drives their Mission (Russ/Jeff)
- Jeff will meet with Filip about moving forward
Next Mid-level Site Council Meeting 11/18
Next Full Site Council meeting: 12/2