6:30pm Pie! 6:50pm Meeting called to order by Diedra
6:55pm Introduction of PTA board members
- set to kick off on October 9
- Crystal choir for 11 weeks (K-2) & Scott drums (3-5)
- Jan 22 switch
- Written information from Scott to come
- K-5 will have music once a week for 19 weeks
- Mid-level elective music still TBD
Garden & Sustainability
- Aleisje King will be back this year (10-15 hours per week for spring/fall)
- Aleisje will be developing curriculum to tie into the storylines
- Goal this year: to create a stable program to carry forward
- Looking for volunteers with cooking, nutrition, etc. skills as well as weeding, greenhouse, etc.
- Kids out 6-8 hours per week; rest of time maintaining garden and outreach
- Needs steady volunteer support to be sustained as an outdoor classroom
- What parents can do: volunteer for 30 minutes on a day when your child’s class will be in the garden (to help wrangle!)
- Have opening for internship through OHSU – hoping to help start a garden to cafeteria program (starting with a salad bar)
- Home study program – this year for grades 2-5
- Monthly – theme for each session to compliment the geography
- Try to make fun instead of competitive
- Goal to help the kids become world citizens
After School Program
- Class descriptions and registration forms went home last week; due this Friday
- Fall – light for K (more offerings in spring)
- Registration form has the correct info (some discrepancies with descriptions)
- Fall session – 8 weeks; spring session will be April/May
Creative Arts Program
- Undergoing restructuring with teachers this year
- Not doing official art parents this year
- Contact Becky Shapiro with any questions
- More information to come
- Summer K playdates
- Welcome back to school potluck
- Parent Coffees – to get to know everyone!
- Halloween party (K-5) and dance (6-8)
- Craft Night
- Science Fair
- Swim Party at EPCC
- Montavillage (May 19)
- Camp Out (weekend of June 7)
- 8th grade promotion
- Public website
- Community website – lots of resource information
- Facebook page (all info duplicated on Announce)
- Listservs (Announce, Families, grades, classes, garden)
- Todd Henion – listserv administrator
- Weekly Blast – weekly calendar and announcements
- Pitch In – bi-weekly volunteer opportunities
- Important information is duplicated in hard copy on bulletin boards
- Proposed budget determined by finance committee (which is open to all)
- John H. moved to approve, Todd H. seconded. Approved.
- Just Give (direct appeal, monthly giving, etc.)
- Restaurant Nights
- Creative Arts Run (restricted to arts and music programming)
- TreeCycle and plant sales (to support the garden program)
- Scrip: no general Scrip this year; instead will tie in with restaurant nights, etc. (decision to change because is very labor intensive for a small amount of money)
- This year: maximize return on the amount of labor
- This year: push to register cards from Safeway, Fred Meyer, Target (eScrip)
- Community storyline – in line with mission to develop compassionate community builders (What is a superhero? What are the qualities of a superhero? What difference can they (the kids!) make in the world?)
- Are there any plans for a CSS sports team? Our kids can join any of the Parks & Rec teams already in place. Any parent can take initiative to get something going.
- Introduction of Rawls Moore (half time math and tech teacher). Working with Katy and Eric on our math program to make it another unique feature of our school. (8th – math and 4th-8th tech)
- Length of lunches/recess: 3 lunches this year to accommodate 300 kids – 40 minute time period needed to be brought down to 35 to make everything fit. Students can be dismissed early for recess if done. K-2 has 45 minutes (come in 10 minutes early unless backed up against a special). 3-5 have 35 minutes. Mid-level asks to go outside after 10-15 minutes (there are only 60 of them). Lines this year are dramatically reduced. Getting better as they are learning the routine.
- Most teachers have recess in both the morning and the afternoon.
- Talk to Filip if your student is feeling rushed at lunch – we want to avoid this.
- Leadership forum for the school (4 teachers, 4 parents, Filip)
- Charter: to support the mission of the school
- By law: school improvement plan, school development
- Filip: added oversight of school budget
- Election this week for open parent position – terms are 2 years, this position is for one year (previous rep left partway through)
- Candidates for open position: Paula Noel, Char Eickholdt, and Jeff Pazdalski
- Voting box in the office to election new parent rep – from end of day Wed. 9/19 to next Wed.
Where to go?
- Ideas, fundraising, etc. = PTA!
- Concerns about a teacher = talk to teacher first, then class rep, then principal
- Concerns about school policies, curriculum, etc. = Site Council
PTA meeting ideas
- Short business meeting (have treasurer’s report by law)
- Have programming and discussion on specific topics
- Bring your ideas to the PTA if you want to see something discussed, etc.
8:30pm Meeting adjourned!